Saturday, January 9, 2010

Castles, Tea, and Host Families!






So as you know, I've been having a wonderful time over here in Japan. I've been trying a whole bunch of foods that I've never had before and they are starting to grow on me! One day I won't know how I'd ever go back to meals w/o tea and some kinda ocean creature.
Yesterday, after our 4 day stay at the Inuyama ryokan, we went on an adventure! to the Inuyamajo (Inuyama Castle) which is 4 minutes away. We were seriously right next to the place. But first we had Sado! (Tea Ceremony!) This is a very cool and very traditional part of Japanese culture!! We took turns making and drinking tea, after watching a video and live example. It was great. I'm a leftie, but in order to do it the traditional way, I had to use my right hand, but apparently (thanks to all the "joozu"'s and "kirei"'s I heard) I'm awesome at it.
Tea Ceremony Rules:
Guests enter by age/rank by bowing, getting into seiza (sitting on your knees) and pulling yourself into the room w/o standing up. (Sorry if that sounds weird. The video may explain it better.)Then you get up and walk to the tokonoma (small alcove w/ a scroll and plant, the floor is raised). When you walk it's 6 steps per tatami (bamboo mat) long ways and 3 across. Do not step on the edges, it's bad manners!! So you get to the tokonoma and you get in seiza, bow, look at the scroll (try and read it), look at the plant (note it's wonder), bow again, get up and go to your seat (you may only sit in seiza!!!) You are then served a sweet by the host's assistant. This sweet is very sweet to compensate for the bitterness of the tea you're going to drink later. The assistant comes in with the sweet, sits in front of you, she puts the sweet down in front of you, both of you bow to each other, you take a sweet with the chopsticks (w/ the right hand), and she takes the plate to let you eat the sweet). You are to cut the sweet and eat it piece by piece.
After you have eaten the sweet, the host comes out to make the tea. I won't explain that whole process, but the "macha" tea is different from other teas, because it is not steeped, but mixed from a powder, which was made from finely ground leaves. This is in the picture. The serving of this tea is precise. The host brings the tea, sits in front of you, turns the tea cup clockwise twice so that the front is facing you (showing respect), puts it down in front of you, you both bow, and then she leaves.
You now with your super macha tea, that was made with great effort and precision, bow to the people after you who aren't as cool to be first (jk) to show them respect and let them know you'll be drinking first. You then sniff the tea, turn it counter-clockwise twice (to show respect to the host), and drink the tea in 3 sips. 3!!!!! You then return the cup to it's original position after 2 clockwise turns and admire the cup, for it is beautiful!!! The host returns for her cup, I think another bow is in order. After that your host leaves you to say goodbye to the scroll and plant in the tokonoma with a similar process to the one you entered with. You can then check out the tools your tea was made with, like you did w/ your tea cup, admiring their beauty! You can then leave.
I'm pretty sure this is an abridged version we had. You do chat before the tea and comment on how pretty the scroll and plant and tea set up is. You usually get it's backstory and how it was acquired, every bit of detail. Where the hot water pot, fresh water pot, waste pot, macha, ladel, and cups were made. You have been spared. Overall it was a great experience and I'm superglad I did it. One day, I'll do a real one. Maybe I'll invite you over.
Next, we went to the Inuyamajo! Super cool. 400 years old! Still standing and pretty, and extremely cold. One cool thing about this castle besides it being awesome anyway, is it's army savvy construction. If you think you've ever gone up steep steps, think again. Going from floor to floor of this castle reminded me of climbing ladders with steps 1/3 too far apart. This was done so that invading soldiers were at an disadvantage. They had to come up one by one, using only one hand (for the other was holding the railing for dear life), and they were probably afraid of falling, or the huge rocks being hurled at their heads.
That's right I was in a national treasure yesterday!
On to the museum, I got to learn how to make a show puppet dance, that was pretty cool.

Finally, the finale of the evening. I met my host family today, the Shibata's. They're really nice! and I know I'm going to learn a lot from them. Weird thing is, they lived in the town next to my hometown 10 years ago!! Crazy right!!
I know
Well, I think that's enough information for you today. I don't think my next post will be as exciting.
I'll see you on the flipsiiiide.
~Ama

No comments:

Post a Comment