Monday, January 25, 2010

The Best (and Only) Smooth Jazz Concert I've Ever Been To

So it's been approximately 3 weeks in Japan. A NEW RECORD! And I'm having a pretty good time. Everyone here gets along pretty well, but sadly we haven't been able to make too many Japanese friends. All of our classes are with the foreign students in the Japanese Studies Department. Sadly most Japanese students don't wanna study Japanese. And to make things worse. All the Japanese students are on the Japanese school schedule which has a break for all of February and some of March!! NOES! But luckily, Judo club starts back up in February! So, I'll make some Japanese friends there! Tough ones!

Yesterday we went to a Togi Hideki concert! He is a Japanese Gagaku player. There were two halves to the show. A traditional first half that was pretty interesting. There were many instruments that I've never seen or heard before that I really admired. There was this one instrument (Shou http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sh%C5%8D_(instrument) ) that was hand-held and the player blew in which sounded like an organ (and the notes could be changed too). There was the cool instrument from Kung-fu hustle(air knives), the zither(?). There were lots of flutes and an instrument (the biwa) whose closest western cousin could be a mandalin or guitarhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biwa)? There was a taiko and kakko(drums) and other cool instruments. The shapes and craftmanship were great. Togi-san, was clothed in really sweet traditional dress and played, solo and with a group. He played both the gagaku flute (ryuuteki) or hichiriki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hichiriki)(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ry%C5%ABteki) ( i can't tell it was too small in his hands) and the biwa. He also did a very intricate dance which we all loved. It showed off his clothes and how precise Japanese gagaku dance is. It was a pleasure to watch.

*Intermission*

After that was the modern stuff. Toji-san continued playing his Ryuuteki/hichiriki, showing off how much it sounded like a saxophone, because it did. He wore modern clothes and had a more animated, younger band backing him up. The sets were wonderful and the music was a lot more upbeat! (of course) I had gotten a much needed 500yen sandowichi and was alive for the second half again! Everything from his great hair to shiny pants was good. He played his original music and rocked out w/ his band. It was a good time.
In my opinion, the highlight of his show was the young talent he debued. A man he auditioned in China, who had a very distinct style to him, but his playing is what tugged at all the female's heartstrings! Although his hair cut and heels were quite cute too. He played a very interesting instrument that I would love to try out. Three stringed with a box (hollow) at the base (which he placed into his hip so he walk around) I think it's called a kokyuu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kokyu)
The awesome thing about this instrument was the bow surrounded the strings!! Blows your mind doesn't it!!!! I know it blew mine! The concert was then a lot more awesome w/ the guy rocking out on his kokyu and Togi-san rocking out on his flute. Twas great.
I recommend such great concerts to all. It was a great display of Japanese music, tradition, and instruments.

By the way, I know all of you know how much I love starting clapping in its many varieties (slow claps, etc.) So at the concert everyone was standing and clapping after the band and Togi-san left the stage. I then came up with a wonderful idea. So far my best impact in Japan so far. One unified clap. I started clapping to a beat and my friends next to me joined in. I kept going for a while seeing if it would catch on. Then I turned to my friend, Tana, and said "It would be awesome if everyone did this!!" and the second I finished my sentence. There it was. Out in the crowd! My clap!!!! Gotta say. One of the best parts of the night. The person who started the crowd clap. This lady right here.

~Ama

No comments:

Post a Comment