Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Triumphant Return

Hello Internet World,

A lot has changed in the two years since I returned from Japan.
Bands have broken up and gotten back together, celebrities have been in and out of rehab, "Winning" became a catch phrase -but I digress.
Since coming back from Japan, I have graduated from college (UPitt to be exact) with 2 majors! Chemistry with a Bioscience focus and Japanese with a certificate in Asian studies. And while I'm tooting my own horn, I'll say that I got departmental honors in Chem while graduating Magna Cum Laude. Woot.

After graduation however, I went into school withdrawal. I spent many an hour on my apartment floor in the vacuum of essays, labs, and equations. "Who, who is evaluating my performance now?" I thought in anguish, "Who?"

Now that I've graduated, and left my room, I've found that Pittsburgh has many different places to visit besides Oakland, Squirrel Hill, and the Waterfront. I also got a job!

Since July, I have been working as a Nursing Assistant on a Neurosurgery ward. You do lots of things as an NA: check patients vitals and blood sugars, bathe, walk, toilet, and feed patients, deliver mail, do extra work the nurses ask you to do, chat...
A few months after starting, I took a class in Phlebotomy (blood drawing) and Patient Care Technician training (a class to build upon my skills as an NA), where I learned dressing simple wounds, catherization, and reviewed drawing blood. Then I became a Patient Care Tech!

Finally, mounting the last rung of the Patient Service Tech ladder, I took a heart monitoring class (Basic Life Saving) in February. There I learned how to recognize heart rhythms and how to respond to them. My favorite one is Atrial Fibrillation.
Normal Heart Electrical Flow Breakdown: Electricity usually flows through the heart starting at the SA(sinoatrial) node, down through the atria (causing them to contract), to the AV(atrioventricular) node, down the middle of the ventricles, and up the Perkinje fibers which spread out the rest of the ventricles(causing them to contract). However with Atrial Fibrillation. There's multiple signals coming from different spots in the atria and many don't make it to the AV node. Finally one makes it and the signal is sent through the ventricles.
This year the song "Sexy and I Know It" by LMFAO has become a chart-topping hit. Blasting through clubs from here to Timbuktu. Therefore, when I saw the unusual pattern of Atrial Fibrillation, I could not help but associate it with the iconic words "Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeaah". It makes sense, look it up.

Anywhoo, I've been gaining some wonderfully useful experience at the hospital. I've also applied to medical school. I got accepted into University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine as well as New Jersey Medical School. Now I will sit back and wait for them to battle to the death over me. JK, but I do hope that the scholarship offers will come rolling in. ....please.
Lol, So anyhow, I'll try to start writing on here again. And I'm trying to do a Japanese word of the day so today's word is: hanasu はなす;放す
  1. to release;  to let go;  to free;  to set free;  to let loose;  to turn loose

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment